- This event has passed.
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain with Lisbeth Firmin
May 10 @ 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
May 9 – 13 (Five Day Workshop)
Have you always wished you could draw?
Lisbeth Firmin will be using Dr. Betty Edwards’ techniques from the famous Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book, combined with her own unique drawing skills, to encourage both professional and beginning students to find their unique ways of seeing. She takes the stress out of “being creative” and guides students towards unleashing their own unique energy through making art.
Through an intensive combination of lectures, demonstrations and studio exercises over five days, you will:
- Develop the skills of perception necessary to draw with confidence
- Explore the relationship between drawing and the two brain hemispheres, based on pioneering research by Dr. Betty Edwards
- Work through a carefully sequenced process in which you will learn the basic strategies of ‘seeing’ which will enable you to draw with skill, and produce high-quality drawings
- Unlock your creative side and begin to see in a whole new way
Lisbeth Firmin is a full-time painter and printmaker known for her urban landscapes. She teaches painting and printmaking at various art institutes, universities, schools, and artist residencies around the United States. She is the recipient of many awards, grants, and fellowships, including a Pollock-Krasner Foundation Grant, a New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowship for Printmaking (Lily Auchincloss Fellow), and full fellowships to the MacDowell Colony, National Seashore Cape Cod Dune Shack Residency, Vermont Studio Center, and Saltonstall Arts Colony.
Firmin is an accredited teacher of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, was trained by Dr. Betty Edwards and has been teaching this for more than 25 years.
Please bring the following materials to class:
- Two sketchbooks for drawing, one big: around 11″x14″ and one small: around 9″x12″
- Drawing Pencils: 2B, 4B, 6B
- Graphite stick 4B (Firmin will have extra ones of this)
- Optional: A support of some sort for the drawing tablets: a drawing board, foam core, anything that will give the sketchbook a support.
- A kneaded eraser
Please feel free to email Lisbeth with any questions you may have about the content of the workshop or the supply list: Lisbeth Firmin
For all other questions contact the Headwaters Arts Center at email@example.com 607.214.6040