April 10 – May 8
Reception: Saturday, April 10| 4p-6p
Artist Talk: April 24, 2p on Zoom
Walt Meade Gallery
Roxbury Arts Center
5025 Vega Mountain Road, Roxbury NY
Photographer Sasha Maslov’s exhibition ‘Ukrainian Railroad Ladies’ opens with a reception at the Roxbury Arts Center, 5025 Vega Mountain Road in Roxbury, on Saturday, April 10, from 4:00p to 6:00p. This body of work features Ukrainian rural and suburban landscapes where the exteriors of railroad houses play a prominent role. The opening reception and visits to the Walt Meade Gallery are always free, open to all and COVID-19 protocols will be followed for the safety of our guests. For more information on this exhibition or about the Roxbury Arts Group visit roxburyartsgroup.org
“Sasha’s photographs capture a quiet moment in a country often heavily affected by unrest” says Grants & Community Coordinator Samantha Nick. “We invited our community to explore how beauty and tradition can bring peace and in unexpected places.”
Sasha’s work explores how the juxtaposition of a country and world in turmoil and the steadfast tradition of women holding yellow flags, signaling that all is clear on the tracks ahead. “In the storm, it’s often hard to see the lighthouse. Ukrainian Railroad Ladies are that lighthouse. They are a symbol of certain things in this country that don’t change, standing firm in the present as a defiant nod to the past. Unfazed by the passing of trains and time, they are here to stay” says Sasha Maslov.
Sasha Maslov was born in Kharkiv, an industrial town in the east of Ukraine. After finishing his education he has travelled for some time and settled in New York city at the age of 24. His series Veterans: Faces of the World War II exploring the lives of the people who participated the Second World War across the globe has won multiple awards and prizes including 2017 PDN Photo Annual and became a finalist in Magnum Photography Awards. Book with the same title has been published in 2017 by Princeton Architectural Press. He lives in Brooklyn where he has a portrait studio, has a home in Roxbury, and spends a lot of time on the road on assignments and developing his own projects.
“Ukrainian Railroad Ladies” opens Saturday April 10 from 4:00p to 6:00p an artist talk will follow on April 24th on Zoom at 2:00p. Contact Samantha Nick firstname.lastname@example.org for the link. Masks and social distancing will be required for in person events and other COVID-19 guidelines which are detailed on the Roxbury Arts Group website. For more information on this exhibition or about the Roxbury Arts Group visit www.roxburyartsgroup.org or call 607-325-7908
The 2021 Roxbury Arts Group gallery series is sponsored by Roxbury Wine & Spirits. All programs offered by the Roxbury Arts Group are supported by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the NYS Legislature, the Robinson Broadhurst Foundation, the Tianaderrah Foundation, The Community Foundation for South Central New York, The Delaware National Bank of Delhi, and by the generosity of business sponsors and individual donors like you.
Visits to the exhibits at the Roxbury Arts Center are always free and open to the public. For the exhibition opening:
- All guests will enter and exit through marked side Hall doors (not main front doors).
- Masks are mandatory. There will be no exceptions. We will have masks on site should you forget yours.
- Only 66 people will be permitted to gather in the Hilt & Stella Kelly Hall at one time throughout the Opening.
- During the Opening, only 8 people at one time will be allowed into the Walt Meade Gallery.
- Restrooms will be cleaned and sanitized before the event. Clorox wipes will be available in each restroom for individual use throughout the event.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for use in public spaces
- All ‘attendee groups’ must maintain a 6′ separation from other guests/groups.
- Please be aware of directional floor markings.
- Individually wrapped consumable items will be available.
- If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a private viewing, please contact the office at email@example.com or 607.326.7908